[wp-hackers] The WordPress Logo Font

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Fri Oct 2 18:22:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 11:28 AM, conorp_gr at hotmail.com <
conorp_gr at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering why the WordPress logo uses the Mrs Eaves (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs_Eaves) font, considering it is a
> 'premium' paid font, and is not under the GPL.  This particularly annoyed me
> today as I was trying to add text next to the WordPress Logo, (
> http://img.skitch.com/20091002-p49qc4as27hi4udwabf9xmu83u.jpg) and could
> not do so, since a different font looked out of place.

IMHO if you're doing something WP related it makes sense to have a different
font for your text than for the WP logo, that's what I do anyway. Take it as
a chance to distinguish your project from the WP core?

Obviously you could also just remove the old text and replace it with a
similar font that you have and use that for the other text, in that
situation I think the iconic logo will be much more important for
recognition than the exact original font.

--
Jeremy Clarke | http://jeremyclarke.org
Code and Design | globalvoicesonline.org