[wp-hackers] Making Capability Manager site wide for MU

Jordi Canals jordi at jcanals.cat
Sun Nov 29 23:51:14 UTC 2009

2009/11/29 Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu>

> If the $wp_user_roles global is defined, it is used instead of the
> roles in the options table.  Your plugin can store modifications in
> site options and then use that site option to populate $wp_user_roles
> during init.  On wordpress.com we just hard code the $wp_user_roles
> array on wp-config since we rarely ever change it.  This avoids going
> to the options table or site options table for role information.

This really looks a nice approach. As it this is a GPL released plugin,
setting it on wp-config is really not an option, but can be used on personal
sites.

Populating the global var $wp_user_roles on init looks really a good option.
Then I just have to save the settings to the site options.

I will play with this on my sandbox. The only con I see, is about the
request made by scribu: Allowing a blog to set its own roles (different from
sitewide ones).
So, I will test both options on development and sure I will found the best
balance between both.

Thanks for your comments! Them are so valuable,

Jordi Canals