[wp-hackers] what if i will import sql file with database?

Harish Narayanan harish.mlists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 17:44:26 UTC 2009

Konrad Karpieszuk wrote:
> hello
>
> we plan to move our wordpress installation with tons of posts, plugins
> and images to new hosting with new domain.
>
> we just made copy of database with mysqldump and we want to put it on
> new web server, where new installation of wordpress is installed (we
> will remove automatically created database and we will change settings
> in wp-config.php). also we plan to import everything from /wp-content
>
> what should we expect? :) for sure will be problem with domain. in
> which cell in mysql it is saved? what ellse?

Following the steps you describe, everything should be fine, except
you'll find your site magically remembering the old domain and
constantly jumping to it (like if you try to log-in to wp-admin).

In order to get around this, I used to change the site URL in a couple
of places in the database, but upon some googling,

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=moving+wordpress+to+a+new+domain

I see that it can be done by adding the following to your wp-config.php

define('WP_SITEURL', 'http://newdomain.pl');
define('WP_HOME', 'http://newdomain.pl');

Harish