[wp-hackers] The problem with WP_Rewrite <<< RE: Options for Controller - Views

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Thu Nov 26 19:58:21 UTC 2009

On Nov 26, 2009, at 2:24 PM, Otto wrote:
> Also, hours? It's like 5 lines of code to add a new rewrite rule. I
> would think that the "add_rewrite_rule" function is relatively
> straightforward. The add_tag stuff is even easier, if you want to
> stick close to the existing structures.

> Okay, I'm no super-genius, but I understood exactly what it was doing
> in about 30 minutes. It works exactly the way I expect it to work.

> On the contrary, I find the WordPress system to be far more flexible,
> easier to understand, and easier to use.

Are you open to considering that, per chance, you understand how Wordpress works internally better than perhaps 99.99% of other users, and that for the vast majority of people the way it works is extremely obtuse?

I'm not specifically supporting Jacob's suggestions but currently there are huge difficulties in getting Wordpress to respect the use of URLs that are not designed to support the hardcoded assumptions baked into Wordpress core. What's more, my use cases are not obscure, i.e. "products/{product}", ability to have a list of Posts be children of a Page, and things like that.

Back on the 20th I email you directly with code I wrote that showed how difficult the current system is to work with and I've yet to hear back from you about it.  I know it's not your concern to address my specific needs but that was not why I emailed you the code. I instead sent you the code to demonstrate the problems with the current system; on that you have remaining quite.

My point is that you keep saying how great the current system of URL routing but ignore examples that illustrate that it is not.  A little acknowledgement of the real issues would be nice.

-Mike Schinkel