[wp-hackers] Not willing to summon the ancient troll, but... PHP5 in WP 3.0 ?

Demetris kikizas at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 21:18:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Ken Newman <Ken at adcstudio.com> wrote:
>> Then why not call it 2.10? The 3 increment is a major release, or that's how
>> the whole rest of the world does it. It's not decimal math :(
>
> WordPress doesn't work that way.
>
> As I understand it, Matt thinks that that sort of versioning scheme
> (one based on the amount of feature change) leads to "version
> inflation".

[SNIP]

Not that it matters, but I am with Matt on this.  The WP versioning
scheme is a good self-restraint;  it does not leave you any room to
play games with numbers.  (Or we could end up doing it like Google. We
have barely seen their browser yet, and it is already on version 4!)

Cheers!

Demetris
http://op111.net/