[wp-hackers] plugin compatability

Ken Newman Ken at adcSTUDIO.com
Thu Nov 5 22:50:27 UTC 2009

On 11/5/2009 5:34 PM, Ade Walker wrote:
> I have two problems with the new compatibility vote system:
>
> 1. What does a less than 100% "Works" compatibility rating actually mean to
> the average plugin "searcher"? For example, go to
> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/google-sitemap-generator/ and you will
> see (at the time of writing this) that 4% of votes say "Broken". How am I,
> the "average plugin searcher" to interpret this? That the plugin is no good?
> That the plugin may not work? That it only works 96% of the time? It doesn't
> mean any of these, of course, but I'm not sure that such a rating helps me
> (the less tech-savvy user) to decide whether to use the plugin or not.

1. Basically, your concern is one of display UI on the wordpress.org
site. You'd rather them make the consensus more obvious. OK, so switch
the display to read "Preliminary feedback: 96%" in small, then a big ol'
fat "Consensus: GOOD TO GO!"

That should solve that problem.

Seriously, WordPress users are a pretty competent and fairly intelligent
group. I'm sure that the 4% isn't turning many people off this plugin.

2. Undoing damage done. Yeah, this might be a concern, but as I
understand it, Each version of wordpress, you get another fresh start!
:) how great is that?