[wp-hackers] plugins-loaded timing?

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Wed May 27 21:12:45 GMT 2009

Hi all --

Is there a particular reasoning why the "plugins-loaded" action
doesn't fire just after the plugins are loaded?  After plugins load, a
few things happen before the actual action happens.  Specifically....

*** excerpt from wp-settings.php ***
require (ABSPATH . WPINC . '/pluggable.php');

/*
  * In most cases the default internal encoding is latin1, which is of
no use,
  * since we want to use the mb_ functions for utf-8 strings
  */
if (function_exists('mb_internal_encoding')) {
	if (!@mb_internal_encoding(get_option('blog_charset')))
		mb_internal_encoding('UTF-8');
}

if ( defined('WP_CACHE') && function_exists('wp_cache_postload') )
	wp_cache_postload();

do_action('plugins_loaded');
*** end excerpt ***

I ask because I have (more than once) had functions I would like to
run immediately after plugins load, and this throws a potential
spanner in the works (especially the fact that the hook fires after
pluggable.php has been loaded).

--
Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/