[wp-hackers] 2.8 plugins page

Demetris kikizas at gmail.com
Tue May 12 20:54:24 GMT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Les Bessant <les at lcb.me.uk> wrote:
>> Good points...
>>
>> Agreed on one page rather than split every 20 plugins
>
> You can go to screen options and set the paging to a big number.

Invalid answer! :-p

People ask for options in the admin area or for extra settings (e.g.,
to disable wptexturize) and they get rejected:  We don’t need more
options!

And now we have a new option that’s not needed at all (the plugins
page is not like the themes page) and that most people will have to
change its default value to be able to manage their plugins.  I think
it should go.

About the other two points Stephen raises, my two cents:

Mouseover for actions.  I’m neutral.

Alphabetical ordering.  This seemed weird to me at first, but I got
used to it quickly and I liked it.  Now Ryan split it again into
active and inactive, and I’m not sure if I like it. I think
alphabetical ordering makes sense now that there are alternative views
by plugin state, since, as I see it, it complements the views by
state.

[All] shows all plugins in alphabetical order.  Then you can click
[Active] to view the active ones, [Update available] for the ones that
need attention, etc.

Cheers,
Demetris