[wp-hackers] User-tagged posts

Edward Dale scompt at scompt.com
Mon May 11 02:15:16 GMT 2009

Hello all,

I've been asked by a client to implement a system where users can tag
posts with their own tags.  Every user will have their own set of tags
and they're only going to be tagging posts that they've already marked
as 'favorites', which adds a record in a favorites table
(wp_favorites) linking wp_users and wp_posts.

It seems like it'd be nice to somehow integrate this into the existing
taxonomy tables.  Would it be abusing the system to create a taxonomy
for each user (eg, user-<userid>)?

Adding a field to wp_favorites for the tags would be the easiest
solution, but would be super-inefficient to search.  I could also add
a couple tables and start to build my own taxonomy system.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to go about this?
There's an existing plugin that looks it does this and took the last
approach, but I wanted to see what opinions here were before I started
down any path.

Cheers,
Edward