[wp-hackers] Accessibility of WP back end (was: Is WP back end supposed to work without JavaScript?)

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sat May 2 03:11:51 GMT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Jennifer Hodgdon <yahgrp at poplarware.com> wrote:
> There are two guidelines for accessibility -- two sets of standards:
>   1) WCAG - international W3C guidelines - requires functionality and
> content of web pages to be accessible if JS is disabled.
>   2) Section 508 - (US law) - requires that if JS is used, it is accessible
> to assistive technologies, and that the web page not require the use of a
> specific input device such as a mouse (so all content and functionality
> needs to be accessible using a keyboard without resorting to the mouse).

> So what are WP's official Accessibility standards for the back end, if any?

A lot of work goes into meeting those (getting the new widgets admin
to work without JS was no fun), but we're still way short.  Patches
and specific recommendations welcome.  For example, I'd love someone
to help with #9445 because I've added enough labels and fieldsets for
a lifetime.  http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9445