[wp-hackers] Hiding Child's Template Theme

scribu scribu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 17:23:26 GMT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Mike Walsh <mpwalsh8 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1)  The parent theme must be installed.  Sounds trivial and for most
> (all?) readers of this list that is obvious.  However, it isn't so
> obvious for someone who just wants to download a theme and use it.
> They actually need to download and install two themes in order to get
> the child theme to work.  This is the main reason I am hopeful
> WordPress will eventually include a theme framework in the standard
> distribution.

And here comes the idea of dependency management for themes and plugins in
Core: WordPress should automatically display a message *This theme/plugin
needs "Parent Theme" to be installed. Would you like to install it now?
[Yes][No].*

> 2)  In 2.7.1 the Theme Preview displays the Parent theme instead of
> the Child theme.  This can be confusing to the casual user as they
> will go to activate the theme and it doesn't look anything like what
> they expected, it looks like the parent which, if you use Sandbox,
> doesn't look very interesting at all.

This is certainly a bug and should be reported on trac, if it wasn't
reported already.

--
http://scribu.net