[wp-hackers] Hacked blogs

madalin niladam at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 09:46:21 GMT 2009

Well,

The problem i reported was actually related to the hosting that was
attacked. I was beeing hosted on hostmonster (server 177 if i can
recall better) and it looks like it was an internal problem.

Since, i've bought myself a dedicated server and installed suhosin -
which broke things at the beginning - that was later instructed only
to alert on problems. I've since, created a cronjob to run every 2
hours that emails me the last ALERT issues from the messages
(/var/log/messages).

Again, i must say that if i've tought the hacking was done directly on
my website digging a little bit, i've found a script on hostmonster
that was actually looking for all index.php and index.html files and
depending on the extension of the file (.php or .html) was adding the
iframe target. The script was fully automated so, wherever it could
write it did. For some reason on hostmonster all the files could be
modified by the nobody user and so, i got hacked.

Anyways, reading about chmod (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod) and
WordPress permissions
(http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions) lead me to the
chmoding of the files which were since NO longer hacked.

This is an isolated issue, and let me say it's only related to the
fact that you have (probably) some outdated plugins (which take use of
the 777 issue) and therefore you were hacked.

As always, backup early, restore if needed :)

Regards,
madalin