[wp-hackers] [GSoC2009] Limits on the idea of implementing MPTT

Dan Larkin nitephire at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 16:44:50 GMT 2009

>From what I understand of the MPTT idea (which I'm also applying to work
on), you would basically want to create the MySQL structures, algorithms for
building/rebuilding the tree whenever you insert/remove/change a node, and
algorithms for retrieving the data.  Once you have the algorithm for data
retrieval, it's just a matter of plugging it in wherever pages and
categories are currently queried in order to speed up that process.  In
other words, it is inherently a background speedup such that the interface
would not change at all, only the speed with which WordPress executes.  Any
new or extra interface features, like an AJAX interface, would be bonuses.
:)

I hope that helps in some way?

Dan Larkin