[wp-hackers] Plugin base classes

Mike Walsh mpwalsh8 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 12:52:02 GMT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:22 AM, scribu <scribu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Simon Wheatley
> <simon at sweetinteraction.com>wrote:

[ ... snipped ... ]

> I use my own plugin base classes:
> http://code.google.com/p/scb-wordpress-plugin-framework/ :)
>
> I use them mainly because they are required by most plugins. Another
> advantage is code reuse: if you have more plugins that use the same class,
> it is only loaded once. I think that applies to most plugin bases.
>
> --
> http://scribu.net

I notice they are PHP5 only which may be a show stopper for some people.

I had used phpHtrmlLib (http://phphtmllib.newsblob.com) for a couple
projects before I started working with WordPress.  When I started
working on my WordPress SwimTeam (http://www.wp-swimteam.org) plugin I
wanted to use phpHtmlLib because what I was building is very forms
intensive and I didn't to give up what I had used before.  The author
of phpHtmlLib had moved on to a PHP5 only version (3.x) allowed me to
continue contbute to the 2.x (PHP4) branch which I then enhanced to
work as a WordPress plugin.

I rely heavily on phpHtmlLib's form processing and widgets classes,
not having to reinvent the wheel for a lot of stuff has saved me a ton
of time.

Mike