[wp-hackers] Should Monthly Archive Pages ever return 404?

Casey Bisson casey.bisson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 22:55:39 GMT 2009

You have yet to explain what exactly is wrong (or user un-friendly)
with a 404 response.

Though I can see a possible argument fot a 300, multiple choices,
response, I agree with the many people on the list that a 404 is
really the best possible response.

The user friendly-ness of of a 404 is related to the content you put
on the page (which by default is minimal, I admit, but you could
easily add more). And if, as you suggested previously, such a page
were to include content from Twitter and other services, then you
could easily change the 404 behavior with a plugin.

--Casey