[wp-hackers] Re: Should Monthly Archive Pages ever return 404? (Mike Schinkel)

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Mon Mar 9 21:19:10 GMT 2009

Dan --

Friendly FYI -- a proper diff file is created by the command-line
"diff" function.  For posting patches to Trac, you should start with
WordPress "trunk".  Basically what I do is this:

1) Save a copy of the file you're going to change -- maybe just append
"-orig" to the end of it.

2) Make your changes to the file.

3) Use diff to compare the modified file to the "-orig" copy.  I pipe
it to my text editor and save it from there.  Something like this:

diff ./original_file.php ./new_file.php | bbedit

That's off the top of my head, but pretty close.  Save the file with
the .diff extension.

The reason this is the way to do it is that the Powers-What-Is can
apply that patch with the "patch" command, rather than manually
inserting your new code.

Actually, now that I'm using SVN, I use the SVN "diff" command
instead.  It nicer because if I've changed more than one file, it can
handle that better. :)

Stephen