[wp-hackers] Getting Bugs Noticed

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Wed Mar 4 06:31:52 GMT 2009

Since I'm the one to write the patch which contributed the most to
_wp_filter_build_unique_id(), I'll say that you are doing it wrong. The
function was never meant to handle your use case. It is working as it
supposed to. The issue is that you are changing the data of what the
function sees as the same instance (it isn't, which is where it appears
the bug stems from).

If you work it out, the first instance works out to Foobaz0 and the
second instance should work out to Foobaz1. This is assuming that the
plugin code is isolated. I will have to take a further look at it,
because it does not seem like bar() is doing anything in your example,
but the result should be "12" and not just "2". So most likely your use
case was not tested fully. That is easy enough to correct, just write
test cases for your example and see what happens and if it fails, then
attempt to fix it until the tests pass.

Where you are incorrect is that once array(&$this, 'bar') is added to
'something1', it should gain the _wp_filter_id to 0 and when
array(&$this, 'baz') is added to 'init' hook, the _wp_filter_id should
already exist. You are correct in that when the second instance is
created and it goes to add array(&$this, 'bar') to 'something2' it will
not find _wp_filter_id, nor will it find any other items in
'something2', so it will also set it to 0. You are correct in that
instead of getting the correct 'Foobaz0' and 'Foobaz1', you end up with
both 'Foobaz0'. Interestingly, if you had something actually echoed in
'bar', you'll probably see both items (in theory). In the case of the
'init' hook, the second instance is replacing the first, which is why
you only see '2'.

This could be fixed if you had the 'init' hook first instead of second.
It is probably why the static method worked in your case, because for
static methods, the _wp_filter_id is not set, therefore when it gets to
the init hook, it sets it and then counts the amount of the hooks. It
seems like your bug is probably biting the asses of all of the dumbasses
who are writing their plugins incorrectly. Good chance!

Unfortunately, I do not see a fix at this time. If you can think of
another algorithm to make the function more idiot proof, it should
suffice until the world creates a bigger idiot (not you, you found the
problem and reported it, I'm talking about those who are affected by
this and don't know it).

Jacob Santos

PS: It will it go a long way to getting things solved, if you create a
patch for a possible solution. I could really care less for #8731,
therefore someone else is going to need to look at it or you are going
to have to handle it yourself. Now, I might have some interest in it if
you slap me around a little and threaten to harm my next door neighbor
who I could also care less about.