[wp-hackers] Advertising on plugin pages

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Mon Mar 2 13:23:17 GMT 2009

On Mar 1, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Joost de Valk wrote:

> Hey,
>
> In my ever ongoing quest to find a way to make some money with all
> my plugins while still keeping them under the GPL and not charge for
> them, I was wondering how the "community" (as in you hackers and the
> ppl from Automattic) would react to advertising on plugins settings
> pages. I'm talking about adding one 125x125 ad spot to the top right
> of my plugins settings pages. Any thoughts?

Notwithstanding technical and security issues that may exist...

 From a developer POV I think it's a fine idea.  From a user
perspective I think you're going to have users who are angry that
you're putting ads in their admin.

Especially when you think of situations where somebody is hired to set
up a site for a client.  If the dev uses your plugin, the client is
going to come back to *that* person saying "Why the hell are you
putting ads in the admin?"

So...

Maybe you put ads in, but charge a small fee for a no-ads version.

That would require changes to the auto-update system, though, as you
wouldn't want the no-ad version auto-updating to the ad version.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/