[wp-hackers] Advertising on plugin pages

Glenn Ansley glenn at glennansley.com
Sun Mar 1 21:30:19 GMT 2009

>In my ever ongoing quest to find a way to make some money with all my plugins while still keeping them under the GPL and not charge for them, I was
>wondering how the "community" (as in you hackers and the ppl from Automattic) would react to advertising on plugins settings pages. I'm talking about adding
>one 125x125 ad spot to the top right of my plugins settings pages. Any thoughts?

As a WordPress blog admin, I probably wouldn't mind this and probably
have the CSS / JS / PHP skill to remove it if I really needed to do
so. If I don't want it and can't remove it myself, I can probably send
you an email, pay someone $25 bucks to remove it, or find another
plugin.

As a WordPress plugin developer, I have considered this before and
would most likely implement it on a per plugin basis after it reaches
enough downloads to warrant approaching and advertiser. At this point
I would probably approach a specific advertiser with an intended
audience that meshes well with my plugin. One interesting way to pull
this off might be to have those advertisers "fund" a specific release
/ feature set for your plugin. You could even map out your projected
development / release dates for the next year and bounty for them off
via advertising. eg: Company A is funding the development for version
1.5 which will contain the following features and be the current
release for 3 months. As a result, their ad is displayed for this
period. After that, Company B is funding the development for version
2.0... etc.

Glenn Ansley
WordPress Plugin Development
http://fullthrottledevelopment.com