[wp-hackers] Address and name used in notification messages

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Thu Jun 25 15:29:32 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Simon Blackbourn<piemanek at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. The From name should be the 'blogname' option, rather than "WordPress".

Definitely, this is a no-brainer, I've always hated this.

> 2. The From address should be the admin_email option, rather than
> wordpress at myblog.com.

+1, I don't see any reason not to do this. Security of the admin email
or something? Seems like its up to people to make the admin_email
general if they want that, most won't care and would get more benefit
from it being a real address in case of replies.

> 3. The option name 'admin_email' is confusing, because it's actually the
> blog email address, not the admnistrator's (the administrator's email
> address is in their user profile). It would make more sense to have the
> option name called 'blog_email', then on the general options screen you'd
> have 'Blog title', 'Blog address' and 'Blog email'.

+1, it just makes SO much more sense to do it this way. Also worth
noting is that there can be multiple administrators in WP, preferably
with usernames other than 'admin', rendering the situation even more
confusing. It *is* the blog_email and not the admin_email. If anything
it *might* be a good idea to also have a pulldown menu of users so
that you could choose a user rather than a specific address, and the
system could just use whatever email that user has set in case they
change it. IMHO not really worth it to go that far, but I think it
would be the logical way of handing it if you think it should be tied
to a user rather than the 'blog_url' (Note: I think it should
definitely be possible to set it to a non-user email even if you can
use a user, as there are really elegant choices that aren't linked to
any user, like setting up site at myurl.com and having it send from
that).

--
Jeremy Clarke | http://jeremyclarke.org