[wp-hackers] Linking stylesheet to RSS feeds

RePost repost_08 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 18 00:56:41 GMT 2009

Ryan McCue wrote:
> On 17/06/2009 4:09 PM, Eric Marden wrote:
>> You can use both CSS and XSL/T to style RSS (which is just XML),
>> including linking external style sheets.
>
> As I mentioned, this is only for viewing the feed in the browser, and
> it doesn't actually display on Firefox (or Safari, from memory), as
> they have their own XSLT styles. As far as I know, RePost wants to
> style it in an aggregator (feed reader).

I'm glad to see a real conversation develop here. Hope it has some
impact on future iterations of the WP RSS2 feed.

I've never been happy with feed readers, but also never considered that
my feed might display differently in feed readers vs. browsers.
Hand-coding and FeedBurner seemed to take care of that problem. My
concern has always been the way raw feeds look in the browser. And if
the feed is picking up graphics from the content, it usually looks bad.

Curiously, I just styled and syndicated a Blogger feed for a client
(using FeedBurner BuzzBoost) and, I don't know why, but the text flowed
around the graphics in that feed, with no extra editing.

Great gaps clearly exist in my understanding of how feeds work. But my
images are floated with such styles as "class=left;" and so on. If there
were some way for WP to strip those styles and float images so
everything looks nice and neat, I'd be happy. Or barring that, just
strip the images and preserve the media enclosures!