[wp-hackers] Plugin dependency checking

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Wed Jun 17 19:02:32 GMT 2009

On Jun 17, 2009, at 1:11 PM, Shane A. Froebel wrote:
> My API makes sure the correct versions are installed and also
> installed
> before it gets activated.
>
> I have a unit-test case file. I am starting the integration with the
> core.

I didn't look at your WP_Dependency stuff at first because of comments
from others that it wasn't the right way to do it.  I just looked at
your PHP code and am confused by it as it seems you've got some
generic code in there and also some plugin specific stuff for Contact
Form 7?  Why the hardcoded info in something you wanted to integrate
into core?  If it was an example it should have been external to your
WP_Dependency code.

Ignoring my confusion it looks like WP_Dependency requires defining
dependency relationships for plugin versions rather than defining
explicitly named interfaces and determining dependencies based on
those interfaces.  While in some cases the former may still be
necessary I think we'd be adding to the problem by making things more
fragile going the route of WP_Dependency.

JMTCW anyway.

-Mike Schinkel
WordPress Custom Plugins
http://mikeschinkel.com/custom-wordpress-plugins/