[wp-hackers] Plugin dependency checking

Austin Matzko if.website at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 16:43:54 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:07 AM, scribu<scribu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another issue: what if the parent plugin is called Z and the child plugin is
> called A? The child plugin hooks would never fire.

By "called Z" and "called A", I'm guessing that you're asking what
would happen if the child plugin's file is included before the
parent's file?

In general, good WordPress plugin practice does not initialize the
plugin when its files are first included, and that would be
particularly true for a plugin that's consciously a "framework" or
"parent" plugin.  Any other behavior can't really expect core WP
support, anyways.

So as long as the parent plugin's initialization event hook doesn't
fire until all plugins are loaded, it's not an issue when particular
files are loaded.