[wp-hackers] Settings pages

Nathan Rice ncrice at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 15:33:09 GMT 2009

Ptah,
Using add_option is probably your best bet, as there is no theme activation
hook you'd be able to hook to (that I know of). And if you do it in such a
way that add_option is called only when the plugin/theme settings page is
loaded, you won't be adding any extra overhead to regular page loads.

Also, I'm not sure if you're serializing all your options into a single db
field, but if you are (and you should be) then you can do some magic with
wp_parse_args, or (like simon said) use the default parameter with
get_option to use defaults initially, until you can load the defaults into
the database.

Nathan

My Website
http://www.nathanrice.net/