[wp-hackers] Settings pages

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Thu Jun 11 12:35:30 GMT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 7:19 AM, Simon Wheatley wrote:

> I'm about to put in a settings page with only one field in. What a
> waste of pixels and a menu item.
>
> Or am I missing something... is there a way to add my field to one of
> the existing options page (e.g. Options > Writing)? Without hacking it
> in with JS. :)

This is a topic that in the past has had a lot of discussion, but
little traction.

Two possibilities come to mind as solutions:

1) Allow a hook of some sort that allows a plugin to add a section to
an "Other Settings" page.

2) Create an interface so that on the "Manage Plugins" page itself a
plugin can open up a "mini form" below its row that let's users set
one or two settings.

Another distinction to think about is that between Settings that may
be changed from time to time, and "set and forget" settings.  A good
example of set and forget is Akismet.  How many times do you need to
go in and change your key?

Thus, both 1 and 2 above might be useful at the same time -- 1 for
settings that change occasionally, and 2 for "set and forget" settings.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/