[wp-hackers] how to integrate plugins into theme easily

Eric Marden wp at xentek.net
Sat Jun 6 07:46:58 GMT 2009

> A number of themes include code for special widgets and other custom
> functionality in their functions.php file.
>
> On Jun 5, 2009, at 8:00 AM, Mayur Somani wrote:
>
>> How can I integrate any plugin into the theme itself so that I
>> don't have to
>> ask the end user to install it.
>> Thanks.

functions.php is your only answer for automatic code being run with
out user interaction. If you want to support other plugins, put the
code in your theme with a check of function_exists() and then tell
users that the theme has more functionality if they stall x-y-z plugins.

Look for the do_action and apply_filter hooks, and target them in
functions.php or even write more generic plugins to be used by other
users of the theme (if you are targeting someone else's theme). I did
this with K2: http://xentek.net/code/wordpress/plugins/k2-hook-up/

And if this is your own theme, just build it into the theme directly.
On K2 we have a pluggable.php file that has a number of functions that
you can over ride (in functions.php or as a traditional plugin) to
further tweak the theme, though this for more advanced users for sure.

- Eric Marden