[wp-hackers] Rebuttal (re: Meta tables: Take 5)

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Fri Jul 24 17:59:04 UTC 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 12:20 PM, Jared Bangs wrote:

> So I'd say put [a single table approach] in the core (at least
> initially), and put enough hooks in so that people running sites
> that somehow justify the split table approach can change out the
> storage code behind those API calls without affecting all the
> plugins that are using the API. Someone who really needed the
> multiple tables could then pretty easily whip up a plugin to do
> this, including migrating all the stuff from the single table upon
> activation.

+1

If done properly, a plugin could be written that could

1) separate *all* such meta into separate tables (per blog or per
plugin?), or

2) simply separate its own meta into a separate table.

Stephen

P.S. -- scribu -- Now I'm going to have to find a way to work the
phrase "starve/feed the sarlaac" into everyday conversation.  ;-)