[wp-hackers] Meta tables: Take 5

Aaron D. Campbell aaron at xavisys.com
Fri Jul 24 17:49:26 UTC 2009

Taking the examples given, you can't drop it when it's empty because the
plugin would check for it on activation.  For example:
* Plugin A activates and creates a comment meta table.
* Plugin A adds a couple things to the comment meta table.
* Plugin B activates and sees that a comment table already exists
* Plugin A is removed as are it's entries in the comment meta table.

Now the table is empty but if you remove it plugin B will have
problems.  I think you'd actually have to implement some sort of
reference count if you want to be able to remove the tables.

However, plugins can already add tables, it's done quite often.  It
seems that the meta data solution should really just meet the 80/20 rule
and a plugin can always create their own tables if they need something
specific.