mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Fri Jan 30 22:36:39 GMT 2009
> So I mean, supporting PHP4 only really has one reason
> for going for it and PHP5 has many reason!
"Besides that's one thing Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"
(With apologies to those outside the US who are unfamiliar with our US History.)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacob Santos" <wordpress at santosj.name>
To: wp-hackers at lists.automattic.com
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 4:06:47 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] PHP5
Lets list the reasons for and against going PHP5:
1. Matt Mullenweg be hating PHP5 and he be the God. (Hail Satan!)
2. It would leave out 40% of current users (from last posted statistics
from last year).
3. Did I mention Matt Mullenweg not liking PHP5? Okay, good.
1. PHP5 is faster than PHP4 (Most benchmarks of PHP 5.2.x show
considerable improvement, PHP5.3 is so much faster than PHP4, that they
didn't even attempt to compare it).
2. PHP5 has PDO, and mysqli.
3. PHP5.3 has namespaces!
4. PHP5.3 has closures! No more create_function nonsense, you'll be able
to actually create a real lambda and closure for usage in
5. PHP5 has better object oriented support, re: visibility, true static
methods and members, class constants.
6. PHP5 has OO chaining: $obj->this()->shit()->is()->awesome();
7. Actually being worked on actively (PHP4 is EOL early last year and no
updates for about 8 months now).
So I mean, supporting PHP4 only really has one reason for going for it
and PHP5 has many reason!
wp-hackers mailing list
wp-hackers at lists.automattic.com
More information about the wp-hackers