[wp-hackers] Making WP more secure the evolutionary way

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Jan 27 08:36:26 GMT 2009

"Daniel Torreblanca" <regulatethis at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Can  you give an example? I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean...

Sure. Imagine a web page in the admin console that has a big textarea and a submit button; could be implemented as a plugin.  If I want to test a SQL abstraction implemented in some PHP library I'd like to be able to take that code from my text editor and paste it into that text area and have it return back the results.

Alternately it could return back the SQL code it would have executed and it would be best if it were interactive using AJAX.  I'd say if you are going to create the abstraction you owe the community to also create an interactive tool that understands your abstractions for submitting queries to MySQL thus allowing people to learn your abstraction by doing w/o having to first put into a plugin or theme.

For me I find myself trying to understand what a plugin is doing by looking at it's code, and having something like this would be invaluable. I could write it myself (if only I had the spare time...)

What would be even better would be a desktop client app like HeidiSQL to do that same albeit that's two orders magnitude greater in scope.

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/