[wp-hackers] Gravatar + Feed integration for avatars on Planets

Jeremy Visser jeremy.visser at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 17:38:50 GMT 2009

Hey hackers,

I'm syndicated on Planet Linux Australia [1], one of the many
Planet-based [2] sites where hackergotchis (basically avatars) are
displayed next to posts.

The process for getting your hackergotchi put up there, basically, is to
e-mail the Planet administrator with a .png file, and he uploads it and
configures it for you. Which is, I suppose, a little tedious, especially
if you are syndicated on several planets and want to change your avatar
one day.

Well, I think this could be improved. WordPress should look at the site
administrator's e-mail address, turn it into a Gravatar URL, and put it
somewhere in the RSS and Atom feeds.

Not sure if the feeds have a provision for "blog avatars", but a
xmlns:wp namespace could easily be specified.

Then, we can get the Planet software (I'm sure Jeff would be obliging)
to display the Gravatar if specified by the feed.

I'm not sure what provisions exist either way -- WordPress should be
able to do it with get_avatar(), and feeds should be able to handle it
through the addition of an xmlns if they don't have support already.

What do you guys think?

[1] http://planet.linux.org.au/
[2] http://planetplanet.org/

--