[wp-hackers] Seeking some advice

Lynne Pope lynne.pope at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 00:17:21 GMT 2009

2009/1/21 Ozh <ozh at planetozh.com>

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:24 PM, Jennifer Hodgdon
> <yahgrp at poplarware.com> wrote:
> > However, why exactly do you want to use WP? I would probably build this
> site
> > in Drupal if I needed all those features, rather than hacking together WP
> > with a forum and poll and all that. Right tool for the right job...
>
> Yeah, thought of this too, but there's a learning curve I don't want to get
> in.

Almost everything you want to do is part of blogging. If you don't mind a
dumbed-down forum, then bbpress will do the job. If you don't need forum
logins to be integrated with WP then any forum will do the job - its just a
matter of applying the same design.
Polls are the same. Either use a plugin, write your own, or if logins
between the poll and WP don't need integration then simply apply the same
design/theme and you have a site that appears to be integrated.

The only sticking point that I can see is for the columnists access
permissions. Writing some functions to handle that would be a whole heap
easier than learning a completely new system.

The right tool for the job is important, but I am not sure WP is the wrong
tool for this job. I am a Mambo developer and do a lot of work with Mambo.
But sometimes a full-featured CMS is overkill for a site and where a site is
really a blog it just plain makes sense to extend the functionality of WP
rather than trying to make a CMS behave more like a blogging platform.

Lynne