[wp-hackers] Plugin Upgrade Failing when using Subversion

Harish Narayanan harish.mlists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 07:47:56 GMT 2009

Mike Schinkel wrote:

>>> But I do have the following SVN properties set:...
>
> Where do you set these properties?  Client or Server?

I do all my work directly at the server that hosts my journal. (Much to
the annoyance of my audience!)

I set these properties by connecting to my server via ssh, navigating to
the appropriate folders and using svn propset.

Look for svn:ignore on the following page for detailed information:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html

> We are using Unfuddle.com for hosted server Subversion and I don't even see any options; maybe my client has access to those options?

Now I am the one who is a little confused. Is this what you are doing?

- You fetch WordPress (from svn.automattic.com) via Tortoise SVN.
- Make changes locally.
- Push your changed repo to this unfuddle.com to host?

> So what files do you end up actually storing in your subversion?

See if this makes sense, as I am doing something fundamentally different:

- I host on a standard Debian machine on which I have ssh and thus svn
(what you call client) access.
- I regularly fetch WordPress via svn directly to this machine that
hosts my site. (So my _web server_ is the _svn client_.)
- SVN accounts for any local changes I've made to the code and attempts
to merge recent updates to WordPress without breaking them. To avoid any
confusion, I keep anything that's not part of the default WordPress
repository explicitly out of this revision control---which is what I was
advising you to do.

Harish