[wp-hackers] Posterous (post-by-e-mail with photo attachments)

Jeremy Visser jeremy.visser at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 11:52:20 GMT 2009

Has anybody else seen Posterous? http://www.posterous.com/

It's a really nice-looking blog-by-e-mail service, much the same as
WordPress' blog-by-e-mail functionality, except several times as cool.

What I like the look of the most is the fact that Posterous accepts
photo, video, and audio attachments, and lets you really easily start up
a photolog with just about zero effort.

I think WordPress could learn a thing or two by that. Just read on the
Codex:

        Posting by email does not support attachments and any
        attachments sent with the email will appear in their raw form in
        the blog post.

                -- http://codex.wordpress.org/Blog_by_Email

I reckon adding photo attachment support for blog-by-e-mail would be an
absolute killer for photologgers using WordPress.

Maybe even some syntax could be parsed for entering attachment metadata
at the end of an e-mail, like:

== IMG_001.JPG ==
This is a picture of my dog. It will be used as the description of the
file "IMG_001.JPG" attached to this e-mail.

== IMG_002.JPG ==
Et cetera! Et cetera!

--
Jeremy Visser                                 http://jeremy.visser.name/