[wp-hackers] Help with the API on WordPress.org?

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Fri Jan 2 10:17:52 GMT 2009

2009/1/2 Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at gmail.com>:
> One of my complaints is how slow and tedious the page loading is in the
> plugin search section of the admin. That's one of the reasons I decided to
> pursue this.
>
> Of course 2.7 is light-years better than prior versions because to install
> each plugin they required downloading, ungzipping, untarring, FTPing,
> activing, etc. but we humans acclimate to improvements really fast and soon
> forget the pain of the past, and then we want more, more, more! :-)

Changing the API wouldnt help your page load times in the least. If
the connection between your server and the api.wordpress.org server is
low bandwidth or has high latency for whatever reason, its going to
impact you, The same as if the .org servers are high-load.

I just checked with a plugin i'm writing, and according to this, the
.org api's return between 120~300ms, which seems perfectly reasonable
to me, mind you, If your server is based on the other side of the
world, then thats not going to help you.. API results return within
~600ms(worst case) for me in Australia.

If the need ever arrises, I'm sure Automattic would lash out and throw
some extra servers in a few geographical different locations to help
load times :) (I'm not saying its needed yet though, but the
Automattic Network guys would know what they're doing.. )

PS: The plugin? http://dd32.id.au/files/core-control.zip , Activate
the "HTTP Access Logger" module to find out how long the requests are
actually taking -- It'll be up on wordpress.org/extend/plugins/
sometime later tonight :)