[wp-hackers] Idea: Rename the Excerpt to something accurate

Demetris kikizas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 05:41:39 GMT 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Daniel Torreblanca
<regulatethis at gmail.com> wrote:
> You may want to explain why you think its name as a misnomer - I don't
> really see a problem there. It's definitely not a "synopsis" or
> "description" of the post.
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Demetris <kikizas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [SNIP]
>>
>> 3.  Its name is a misnomer.
>>
>> [SNIP]

Daniel, I’m talking about what is stored in the field post_excerpt,
not what WP generates automatically when that field is empty.

On the Excerpt box, the content of post_excerpt is described in this way:

“Excerpts are optional hand-crafted summaries of your content.”

I think this is not what is commonly understood by the word “excerpt”.
 E.g., see how “excerpt” is defined in Merriam-Webster:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/excerpt[2]

“a passage (as from a book or musical composition) selected,
performed, or copied”

Cheers,
-dk