[wp-hackers] Auto Update Plugins

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Fri Feb 20 22:20:59 GMT 2009

On Feb 20, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Daniel Torreblanca wrote:

> My 2 cents worth as someone who contributes very lightly... I've
> contributed several bug patches (that did make it in) and a couple of
> other patches that I did work hard on but were decided against
> unfortunately.
>
> [...] I find it it frustrating because on the
> one hand I want to to contribute, but on the other hand I don't want
> to continue doing work that will be ignored. So in that respect I can
> see why people want to secure some sort of "approval" on an idea
> before starting to do all the work, especially for the bigger jobs.

I think this hits the nail on the head.

There is very little "voice of authority" on this list, and sometimes
that's what is needed.  I entirely sympathize with people wanting
"approval" of an idea before they submit a patch for it -- who wants
to spend hours honing code to fix some hairy problem, just to have the
"silent authority" ignore it?

Telling people that submitting a patch on Trac is the way to **raise
the issue** is putting the cart before the horse.  My mechanic doesn't
put new tires on my car and then as me if I want them.

I've submitted some patches in my time.  One of them was literally
committed within an hour or so, having been essentially pre-approved
(I brought it up on this list, and was told "good idea -- do a
patch").  The others have been largely ignored.  Well of course I want
to come here first and get some sign that someone with the authority
to approve such things likes the idea -- otherwise I'm just spinning
my wheels.

I'm sorry to see Dion and Viper go.  If I was a part of that decision,
I'm all the more sorry.  Perhaps I misunderstand the point of this
list -- I thought it was a place to discuss code, a place to bring up
problems and discuss possible solutions, and a place that, in part,
determines the future course of WordPress core.

I spend a lot of my free time working on various plugins and patches,
and making sure that they're as good as I can possibly make them --
and I have very little to show for all that beyond a (now fleeting)
sense that what I'm doing is appreciated.  Am I the one who should be
leaving?

Sincerely,

--
Stephen Rider