[wp-hackers] Auto Update Plugins

Eric Marden wp at xentek.net
Thu Feb 19 21:04:14 GMT 2009

For me, fixing the issue with having source control folders (.svn,
etc) get trashed during plugin upgrade is a nice to have but not a
priority, since I usally just do a quick remote delete and re-add the
new plugin. Annoying but livable.

I also agree with some others that if a plugin is accepting file
uploads it should use the same mechanisms as the media library and
store it in wp-content/uploads (or where ever the user sets this too).
This has the added ability of being registered in the Media Library
(if done correctly, though docs on this are scant) and being able to
be used outside the plugin.

Of course the other option is not use the auto-update and do it
manually avoiding both issues all together, but it wouldn't be wp-
hackers if we thought in terms of what we can do now, and what we want
to beg core devs to do for us. :)

-e