[wp-hackers] Canonical integration into core

Dan Gayle dangayle at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 15:37:45 GMT 2009

The canonical idea is that every page is associated with only one (1)
URL, which never was a problem with static pages. Dynamic pages,
particularly WordPress posts or pages, can have multiple different URL
schemes that all point to the same content. But the content itself
doesn't change. Being able to designate as a rule, "THIS is the best/
most accurate/preferred URL for any given content" is an idea well
past due.

This doesn't mean, however, that the OTHER ways of accessing the
content cease to exist. It simply means that Google will wrap every
page that has the same canonical URL under that single banner.

I don't see anywhere in the Google information that the canonical URL
can't be whatever you want it to be. That being said, if someone is
using old URL structures and would like the benefits associated with
canonical URLs, there should be a way to choose or over-ride what YOU
want to be the canonical, aside from what would be the default
Wordpress Permalink.

Many of my company's websites use categories as their primary
navigation, and I don't see how this would not benefit them at all,
because regardless of how you get to it, there is only one (1) page
and that one page can have one (1) canonical url. In fact, that is
quite the point, because you CAN get to a single page in many
different ways in a CMS.