[wp-hackers] Thumbnails for Locally Hosted Videos?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Feb 17 06:06:24 GMT 2009

"Daniel Torreblanca" <regulatethis at gmail.com> wrote:
> If ffmpeg is installed the on the server, it'd pretty simple
> to extract a frame is a jpg from any video file that ffmpeg
> can read.

Thanks for the reply.  I guess ffmpeg could be an option but I understand ffmpeg is fairly complex to set up?  If so, it wouldn't be one to depend on.

That said, what then to do with the generated image?  Import it into the media library and use wp_postmeta to associate the two files?  If yes, what there?  Store a using a "video_thumbnail" meta_key?

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/