[wp-hackers] Canonical integration into core

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Feb 17 00:24:47 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Nathan Rice <ncrice at gmail.com> wrote:
> For what it's worth, I'll give my reasoning for NOT fixing either of these
> things.  BECAUSE IT'S NOT WordPress's JOB TO SEO YOUR SITE.

True, but at the same time, by putting small, unobtrusive, and
relatively minor things like this into the core, you standardize it
across a wide range of sites, thus leading to a greater benefit as a
whole. It is to WP's advantage to have sites based on it show up
higher in search results.

Or are you suggesting that WordPress should not try to rule the tubes? ;)

> I've made my point. I do not see the point of letting core take on the role
> of a theme.  Like I said in an earlier email, if we're going to do this,
> then why don't we just let core generate the entire <head> section for us?

"Being a theme" and "providing standardized functionality that themes
can take advantage of" are two different things. Whether you have it
on by default or not (by hooking the action to wp_head), is beside the
point.

+1 to this.

-Otto