[wp-hackers] Multiwidget Support

Chris Jean gaarai at gaarai.com
Thu Feb 5 21:55:50 GMT 2009

I've suffered through development of widgets that support multiple
instances many times. Recently, I began wondering some things:

   1. Why is the method for producing multiwidgets so obscure and
      complicated?
   2. Why is there any need to support a single-instance widget?
   3. Why aren't all the core widgets multiwidgets?
   4. Couldn't the method of registering and controlling widgets be
      improved to automatically make all widgets multiwidgets?

Of course, for that last option to work, the storage mechanism would
have to be standardized. That's not a bad idea though.

Thoughts?

--
Chris Jean
http://gaarai.com/