[wp-hackers] Proposal: Twitter Support in Core

Lynne Pope lynne.pope at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 23:32:49 GMT 2009

2009/2/5 Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com>

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Mike Schinkel
> <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:
> > I also guess I struggle with the branding; I mean what the heck does
> "Codex" mean?
>
> Ahh, English has failed us once again.

Not really ;)
A codex also refers to a collection of laws, or of recipes (generally for
making medicines), while its diminutive form codicil is a supplement or
appendix.

It's not a term that is in common usage for modern works, but I always
thought WP's use of "codex" was a very clever play on the word. If you think
of the WP codex as a collection of recipes for WP and as a supplement or
appendix to the code the term makes a whole lot of sense.

Lynne