[wp-hackers] Less than Core, More than Plugins/Themes: Proposing Optional Modules.

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Feb 3 15:30:08 GMT 2009

"Ryan McCue" <ryanmccue at cubegames.net> wrote:
> Including them with WordPress is imperative to their use:
> if they are not included with WordPress by default, they
> won't be used, even if they are promoted, as authors would
> have to write fallbacks for their code anyway.

EXACTLY. That's the point of the proposal, in a nutshell.

> standard API classes; must be included with the core;
> should be autoloaded; needs PHP5+; maybe progressive
> enhancement.

I'm with you there with the only concern that some people may say "But we don't want to include that in the download because it will bloat the download."  Of course that's not something I see as a problem but others might hence my "install-on-demand" proposal to alleviate their concerns.

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/