[wp-hackers] Less than Core, More than Plugins/Themes: Proposing Optional Modules.

Charles E. Frees-Melvin charles at cefm.ca
Mon Feb 2 23:39:00 GMT 2009

It is very intreaging from this point of view a projec like bbPress for
example could be added as an extention of WordPress rather that duplicating
the code with the BackPress code. Basically add on the forum functionality
without the need for the Authentication, Seperate Theme Engine, Comment
Engine (for a gellery addon), unified plugin administration etc that is
provided by the WordPress Core.

I think this could allow a major strive to allow additional functionality
like a full "Gallery" type extention that goes far beyond the current
section. But by that it would move more towards the Module system of Joomla
or Mambo without compramising the core "Best/Simplest blog software ever"
vision of WordPress.

I think this descussion I would like to see progress similar to the
"WordPress as a CMS" discussion but this time as "WordPress the Framwork"
discussion

Charles E. Frees-Melvin (aka thee17)