[wp-hackers] Less than Core, More than Plugins/Themes: Proposing Optional Modules.

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Mon Feb 2 22:32:02 GMT 2009

"scribu" <scribu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree. This could potentially lead to a much more versatile
> platform, at least in structure.

Thanks for pitching in your thoughts.

> On the other hand, adding several optional modules
> automatically rises the level of work required from
> the dev team. This could lead to slower release
> cicles or more bugs.

I could actually see it being a net plus. I think optional modules in more specialize areas might attract people who wouldn't otherwise be materially able to contribute to the core. Me, for example.

The core dev team could still review and approve the optional modules; that'd be up to the team.

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/