[wp-hackers] Sandbox in WP Core?

Jess Planck jess at funroe.net
Mon Feb 2 16:46:05 GMT 2009

A good semantic framework in core would be cool, but Sandbox really
needs an upgrade. I just started a personal fork about a month ago
because there are a few places where WordPress 2.7 has made some nice
filters that replace some of the old Sandbox function ( post_class()
for one ).

I guess is this a discussion about including a framework as the
"advanced" default theme to show some theme-fu? The basic themes are
"good enough" to help with some theme coding examples, but if you add
a framework to that mix then wouldn't you have to add a theme that
uses the framework? That would be three themes in the included download.

Basic Theme - simple semantic "just works"
Theme Framework - simple semantic with some funky framework only style
tricks like sandbox_body_class and those sandbox widget mods.
Based on Theme Framework - example with more funkiness. Maybe Krubrick
based on Sandbox? I think that was mentioned last year.

If not, including a theme framework would really not make sense to
anyone new to WordPress. Also additional included themes may make some
people here get a little hot under the collar.

The only other logical solution would be to replace the Basic Theme
with a framework and go from there, but that kills the "Just Works"
and might be introducing advanced concepts too soon. Jeez this gets a
little complicated.

Anyway... Here's the old ticket if it wasn't mentioned:

http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4517

Jess