[wp-hackers] Wordpress as a CMS

Vinicius Massuchetto viniciusandre at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 00:17:19 UTC 2009

In Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> On 2009-12-21 2:38 PM, Peter Westwood wrote:
>>
>> That's four joins with 6 criteria on string keys and a more complex
>> query.  Now let's look at a custom table approach:
>
> Every large scale website I've seen dealing with this complexity of data
> does multiple queries + caching, which simplifies these scenarios vastly.
> I'm anti-join.

I made something really nasty on WPMU for not wanting to create any
extra table only using the meta ones.

To show the latest posts and also categorize the blogs, I put a small
"LIMIT 3" query to all blogs, and in the end several "UNIONs" on a
"implode" statement to join them all and find the newest ones.

I got impressed how WP Super Cache can deal with that, and in the end
the website had more than 2.000 visits a day with no overload at all.

--
Vinicius Massuchetto
http://vinicius.soylocoporti.org.br