[wp-hackers] Proposing WP Flavours (various WordPress forks)

William Canino william.canino at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 17 20:19:46 UTC 2009

Considering its thousands of action and filter hooks -- and more and
more made in each release, in my opinion, WordPress is too
customizable and open-ended to need particular forks.... that is,
unless a very good programmer (or a group of them) comes up with a
direction for WordPress that the lead devs (Boren, Jacquith,
Mullenweg, Ozz and Westwood) feel strongly against.

Realistically, the lead devs cannot allow/approve every kind of patch
that will be suggested that disables features or takes WordPress in
every sort of direction.  While a plugin developer might say, "Hello,
here is a one-line diff that will let WordPress handle Foobar content,
I think people will find it useful," if the trac discussion says
wont-fix, it's a wont-fix.  I can see how the wont-fix feels to the
plugin developer; the word "fork" will come to her mind.

I haven't yet worked with WP Core closely to see how open-minded or
politically-heated trac discussions get. To Foobar plugin developers:
go right ahead anyway, strut your stuff, tell your plugin users to add
that line as an installation step!! Don't ever let anybody tell you
your idea isn't worth shit.

Thank you for letting me speak.

W.