[wp-hackers] Developer portal

Malaiac malaiac at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 09:06:06 UTC 2009

2009/12/15 Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com>
> My original question wasn't "how do we get people to contribute to a
> documentation resource" which honestly I'm not worried about, it was "What
> do you wish you had when you first started developing for WordPress?"
>
> Anyone else have any wishlist items that haven't been mentioned yet?

A full description of how a WordPress page is generated, from clean
URL to generated HTML.
That includes :
- WP Rewrite description of how a clean URL is handled
- a description of how the WP controller (sort of) knows which page is
called and which posts are going to be fetched
- a full tree of hooks which allows me to know which one I need to use
(I have more than 20 WP in prod, and still have troubles finding the
right hook sometimes)

Actually, that's the first thing I'm looking for when I shop for a new
CMS (I'm currently switching from OsCommerce to... Prestashop ? for my
ecommerce websites) : since I know I'm going to hack it, I need to
know I'm going to suffer doing it (obviously a Template system like
Smarty in Prestashop is an obstacle, but general handling of clean URL
> true URL > where are we > which items are we going to fetch > which
template is used > let's generate the html is my main point of
concern).